Friday, May 30, 2014

The Werewolf In the Living Room (Werewolf Transformation)

 Since my last text-based post was well-received, here's another book for your consideration.
The Werewolf In the Living Room is part of R.L. Stein's popular Goosebumps series of children's horror books (it's actually part of the Goosebumps 2000 series, but who cares?).


Contrary to what the cover suggests, there are no scenes of werewolves sitting around the living room with their paws on the ottoman. Sorry feet fetishists!

The protagonist is Aaron, who describes himself as "tall and skinny" with "curly red hair, freckles, and light green eyes." Aaron is the son of a werewolf hunter, so of course he gets turned into a werewolf and hunted down by Dad.

Here's the first transformation scene:
I sat on my bed--stared out the window--and waited.
I watched the sun slowly set.
As dusk turned to night, I saw the full moon rise in the sky--and felt my skin begin to tingle. Then burn.
I gazed in the mirror--and saw dark fur sprout over my skin.
My back and chest began to throb. I could see the muscles pulsating, straining against my T-shirt. Then a searing pain shot through my body as my bulging muscles tore through my clothes.
I squeezed my eyes shut as the bones in my face shifted. Formed into a skill that was half human, half beast.
I let out a howl of agony as fangs exploded from my gums.
Then a fiery pain shot through my hands and feet. I gazed at them in horror as my fingers and toes shrank. As my hands and feet formed into paws. As razor-sharp claws sprang from my scalding skin.
I burned with fever.
Burned with hunger.
With an ugly roar, I grabbed the rope around my waist and tore it away.
With the fury of a wild animal, I ripped the planks from my bedroom door.
And then I was running.
Running out of the house.
Running on all fours through the cool night air.
Running--with a raging, bloodthirsty hunger--in search of fresh meat!
There's another transformation towards the end, though it's shorter and more clumsily written. Here's an edited version:
As Ashlee searched the house, I began to feel my skin tingle.
I can't let Ashlee see me change! I told myself.
..."Hurry, Ashlee! Hurry!" I shouted, unable to hide my panic.
My skin began to burn.
My head began to ache...
"You'd better hurry home." I sprung out of the cage.
I could feel the fur begin to sprout on my back...
My muscles began to pound...
I glanced down--and saw dark, bristly hair begin to sprout from my hands.
...Don't turn back, Ashlee, I silently begged.
Please--go out the door. Don't turn around.
Please--don't see what I've become.
...A sharp pain shot through my skull as my head turned half human, half creature.
... A searing pain shot through my mouth as my fangs slipped out. I howled in agony.
The transformation was complete.
I was a total wolf-creature now.

No comments: