Sunday, August 28, 2011

The Art of Mamabliss

I've been following transformation online since 1997, and I can tell you one thing: TF artists burn out. I've watched so many come and go that a pattern emerges: a brilliant entrance, several years of productivity, a period of declining workrate, an even more fallow period, then disappearance. Eventually the artist pulls his work from the web to try and erase every trace of his presence. Though I can draw somewhat well, I've never led the life of an active amateur artist, so I can't presume to say what makes TF artists burn out. But they do.

And yet there are always exceptions. One of these is Mambliss. She (or he?) has been producing art for years now, and unlike so many bitter burn-outs has remained good humored and able to put up with the irritating demands of people who view artists as their servants. She's also still as productive as when she started, and--unlike so many people who tried and failed--she's managed to make money from TF art. Her site (linked above) has a free preview section, but in order to see the many TF sequences she's drawn over the years, you have to subscribe. It's worth doing so. Her style is extremely distinctive and sensual--the linework is whispy, the figures funky, the imagery sensual and not for the prudish. For an example, take a look at this freebie donkey TF from her blog.

She also has a free archive site that stores many of her older TF sequences, and these you can see right now. Just scroll down to the bottom of the page. I've picked out some of the best male TFs for the benefit of my readers. Here are my picks:

"Cici's Mount" (Horse TF)

"The Locket" (Horse TF)

"All the Way" (Horse TF)

"Equine Transformation" (Horse of course)

"First Time" (Werewolf TF)

"Seals" (Short seal TF)

"Tutoring" (Very short werewolf TF)

"Renamon" (Digimon TF--I don't usually care for those critters, but some readers might)

Readers will notice a preponderance of horse TFs. This is not due to my own taste, but rather to what sequences Mamabliss has chosen to make available for free. Subscribers to her site will see a wider range of transformations.

3 comments:

Lew said...

You nailed it, it's people demanding art from you that tends to drive artists to give it all up.

Anonymous said...

Renamon is a digimon not a pokemon

Apuleius said...

Thank you for the correction--I've edited the post with the correct information. I might be too old for whole -mon thing...