Sunday, May 11, 2014

Unexpected Hiatus

My plan of updating more often was jinxed by Windows, which started crashing a month ago. While I can still browse the internet, editing video clips and images has become a hassle. I will probably have to re-install Windows and reformat my hard drive. Luckily, I've already back up my files, and with luck should have the computer fixed later this week.
In the meantime, take a look at Shadowlord and Dutchbull's sites, both of which have been recently updated (Dutchbull actually updated twice, on April 8 and May 1).


P.S. In case anyone's interested in the computer problem...
Windows keeps giving me an Explorer.exe Application Error message that states "The instruction at 0x772fb20d referenced memory at 0x044bf2be. The memory could not be read. Click on OK to terminate the program." When I click OK, Windows crashes. I've tested my memory (it's fine), run virus and malware checks--I suspect the registry was corrupted after using CCleaner.

6 comments:

Drake Silverman said...

download "whocrashed" and it help you get more info.

Anonymous said...

Well, explore is the system, so when you terminate explore, you actually terminate the system and that is why it crashes.

What seems to be the problem is the memory. Please unplug and plug in you RAM. If it doesn't work, try start your computer with only one stick, if you should have more than one.

It is harmless to remove the memory and is one of the easy things to do if you have a desktop. If it is a laptop, then it is another story.

If you have plenty of time, then try unplug all hardware and plug it back in, but do it one at a time to locate the problem ;)

But good luck.

Anonymous said...

...the same reason why I switched to (Zorin) linux. More stable and it stays as fast as you ran it the first time. Besides a lot of software I use now on linux is free and has more options then the usual Pinnacle commercial sh*t I used before.


Dutch_bull

Anonymous said...

also: it could be a hard drive problem involving bad sectors. This usually happens when the hard drive has almost worn down. You could use HDDscan to check the SMART status; is the last one negative then you should replace your hard drive with a new one.

Since Explorer gives an error you could also use Q-dir instead to acces your hard drive.

greetz,


Dutch_bull

Apuleius said...

Thanks to everyone who wrote in with suggestions. My computer didn't allow me to install Whocrashed, and its memory passed all the tests. In the end I reformatted the computer, and it's now running fine. I'll have a hastily assembled update ready soon.

Drake Silverman said...

sorry you had to reformat but at least its still runs. bet you glad you back up you stuff.